I just got back from a trip to Vegas a couple of days ago for my friend’s bachelorette party, and I haven’t quite caught up on sleep yet. Last night I was so tired I ordered in a veggie pizza (no cheese) for dinner. My husband happened to be in Vegas last weekend, too (for his friend’s bachelor party, totally unrelated and a huge coincidence), and he got home at 1:00 am last night. I thought it would be a good idea to wait up for him, and I definitely paid for it today! As soon as I have recovered I’ll do a post about my Vegas trip – food, where we stayed, where we went, etc, so stay tuned.
Anyway, here’s a super quick and easy curry dinner that I have adapted from The Idiots Guide to Vegan Eating for Kids. You can get this on the stove in minutes and customize it based on what you have in the fridge. If you don’t want to do any chopping, you don’t have to, though I think the bell peppers are the best part.
Quick and Easy Vegetable Curry
- 2 cans light coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp mild curry powder or curry paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 bell peppers (I used yellow and red), sliced into 1-inch strips
- a few handfuls baby spinach
Pour coconut milk into a large heavy skillet and heat over medium heat. Whisk in curry powder and salt. Add tofu cubes and peas, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for an additional minute or two.* Add baby spinach and cook until just wilted. Serve immediately over brown rice, cous cous, or quinoa.
* Don’t overcook the bell peppers! They should retain their color and some texture. You just want them heated through, but still crunchy.
Now I’m off to finish the dinner dishes and flop into bed early!