My family has had the flu this week so I haven’t had a chance to plan menus, make grocery lists, or go shopping. So tonight was one of those times when I perused the refrigerator and the pantry looking for something to make. There was a bag of baby spinach in the refrigerator, so I decided to toss that together with some ingredients I always have on hand: pasta, garlic, olive oil, canned tomatoes, and pine nuts (I keep a Costco-sized bag of them in my freezer). The end result was quite delicious! I’ll definitely be adding this combination to my recipe box.
- 1 lb whole wheat rotini
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes*
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/4-1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted**
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Boil pasta according to package directions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss in fresh baby spinach and let sit over low heat until spinach begins to wilt. It will seem like a lot of spinach at first but it will shrink down a lot! Add toasted pine nuts and serve immediately. Keep extra virgin olive oil on the table for drizzling over each individual serving for a nice touch!
* If you cannot find petite diced tomatoes, then drain the juices from regular stewed or diced tomatoes directly into the skillet, then transfer tomatoes to a cutting board and chop before adding to the dish.
**To toast raw pine nuts, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and put directly under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Watch these closely or they will burn!