I think every vegan chef has their own special version of macaroni and cheese, especially those of us with little ones! This version is largely based off of the one in Vegan Vittles but I’ve tampered with it quite a bit. My kids like this every bit as much as they used to like the dairy version. Sometimes I make it with beans (as pictured) and sometimes I leave them out. I like to add them because it increases the protein, fiber, iron, and flavor!
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)*
- 3 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine or coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (more or less depending on how yellow you want it!)
- 3 cups plain non-dairy milk**
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 can kidney beans or other beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare macaroni noodles. Drain and rinse with cool water, and set aside.
While noodles are cooking, melt Earth Balance or coconut oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and turmeric and stir quickly until combined. Add non-dairy milk, all at once, and stir with a wire whisk until no lumps remain. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened and bubbly. Cook for 1 minute more and then remove from heat. Add nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth and creamy.
Add cooked macaroni noodles to the sauce and mix well. Add beans and chili powder, if desired. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch square pan and top with bread crumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!
* If you’re having trouble finding whole wheat macaroni noodles, try the bulk bin at Fred Meyer.
** I recommend Silk or Organic Valley brands plain soy milk, because they are not too sweet. I have also made this with plain hemp milk with fantastic results.