Veganomicon – Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits

Veganomicon - Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits

I was so excited to get Veganomicon as a Christmas gift (thanks Dad!) this year.  Since I already had 2 big leeks in my refrigerator and some potatoes, I decided to give the Cassoulet a try, and it is yummy!  I made the biscuits with half unbleached flour, half whole wheat pasty flour and it worked just fine.  I accidentally overcooked the potatoes just a bit but made up for it by not adding them to the dish until just before putting it in the oven.  The carrots, on the other hand, never quite got done so I think I’ll pre-steam them a bit next time.  But overall, it’s a warm, delicious comforting stew, so I give it a thumbs up!  If you want to make this recipe, you’ll just have to go buy the book! ;)

Veganomicon - Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits, main dish

Here’s what the bubbling dish looked like just out of the oven!  Can’t you just smell it?  It did bubble over a little while baking but I put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drips.

About these ads

About Rebekah

I am a stay at home mom with a passion for cooking healthy and delicious vegan meals and treats for my family.
This entry was posted in Recipe Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Veganomicon – Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits

1. seitan eater says:

Nice to find your blog! There is always nice to read some bloggings of vegan families! That`s true at whole family can choose veganism for healthy way to live.
    You have lots of nice recipes here, and what is the best: they are like usually,quite simply and fast-prepared home-foods :) Nice also student like me who have not always much of money or time to made my foods.
    Also nice to read those bloggins deal with those things considering healthy vegan-nutrition.

2. Heather says:

I made this too and it was yummy! I didn’t have whole carrots, so I used shredded instead and it worked out PERFECTLY. I also overcooked my potatoes, but it was stil fantastic. This is my favorite recipe so far from Veganomicon!

3. Carrie says:

That looks sooooo good! I’ve got to get this book. I think I’m the only one on the planet that doesn’t own it. I read on a couple of other blogs that some weren’t overly impressed with this dish, so it’s good to hear something positive, because this is something I’m sure I would love.

4. Jen says:

My mouth is watering looking at this!!

I plan to make it this weekend, it looks absolutely delicious!!

5. Rebekah says:

Thanks for the comments! The only thing I would revise about this dish is to chop the leeks a little bit more. My husband commented that it made the dish seem a little bit stringy.

6. Oh, Mindy! says:

I thought about getting the Veganomicon the other day, but I was afraid that too many of the recipes would just be filler. How do you like the book?

7. Pingback: my aim is true » Blog Archive » CSA Week Six

8. Reencepap says:

I highly enjoyed reading this article, keep on creating such interesting articles!