I’ve always loved lasagna – especially spinach lasagna with lots of ricotta cheese. Thankfully, since becoming vegan I’ve discovered that tofu can be transformed into a delicious ricotta, and Vegan Gourmet mozzarella works perfectly to top everything off!
- 8 oz oven-ready lasagna noodles*, or 12 prepared noodles
- Tofu Ricotta:
- 1 lb firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed
- Easy tomato sauce:
- 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 oz shredded vegan mozarella cheese, such as Vegan Gourmet (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together tomato sauce ingredients in a pan, and simmer on low heat as you prepare other ingredients. In a food processor, combine tofu ricotta ingredients and process until a semi-smooth yet grainy consistency is achieved (similar to dairy ricotta). Transfer ricotta to a large bowl and fold in the thawed spinach.
Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Layer 3 of the lasagna noodles over the bottom of the pan. Spoon 1/3 of the spinach-ricotta mixture over noodles, and spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the top. Repeat twice more with noodles, ricotta, and sauce. Layer the final 3 noodles over the dish, and spread with remaining tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle grated vegan cheese over the top, cover again, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese has browned.
Allow lasagna to set for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
* I used Ronzoni Oven Ready Lasagna noodles in this dish.